Scope and Contents
Documents concerning YWCA of the U.S.A. work with and for African Americans women and girls. Conference materials provide an overview of the work being done regarding social justice, civil rights, and YWCA work with African American women and girls. The materials regarding the Commission on Interracial Cooperation and the National Interracial Conference concern cooperation with national movements. Following these materials are documents concerning the death of Juliette Derricotte and another passenger following a car accident, and the refusal to admit them at a local hospital. The microdex ends with materials regarding segregation and discrimination in the education of African Americans.
Dates of Materials
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for use without restriction beyond the standard terms and conditions of Smith College Special Collections.
However, by agreement with the YWCA of the U.S.A., microdexes known to contain financial records or personal health information (usually on job applications) were not digitized and/or not published in our online repository as part of the CLIR Digitizing Hidden Collections grant. These microdexes may still be accessed on the original microfilm, and digital files may be made available to individual researchers upon request.
646 frames (1 partial reel)
- African American girls -- Societies, etc
- African American juvenile delinquents
- African American women -- Employment
- African American women -- Social conditions
- African Americans -- Civil rights
- African Americans -- Education
- African Americans -- Education (Higher)
- African Americans -- Health and hygiene
- Race relations
- clippings (information artifacts)
- minutes (administrative records)
- surveys (documents)
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063