California, circa 1918-1950
Scope and Contents
Documents concerning the YWCA of the U.S.A. Los Angeles association. As an association serving women and girls of a large metropolitan area the Los Angeles YWCA has a complex and robust program. Visitation reports describe and assess the association and its branches, the needs of its members and the challenges the association faces. World War II brings a time of expanded program to the association with the increase of women working in industry and contributions to the war effort in Los Angeles. War work reports and notes summarize and assess the expanded program. Other documents include the proceedings of a hearing of the Public Relations Committee in Los Angeles, a report of an investigation into member of the YM-YW council and a report on women in the motion picture industry.
Dates of Materials
- circa 1918-1950
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for use without restriction beyond the standard terms and conditions of Smith College Special Collections.
However, by agreement with the YWCA of the U.S.A., microdexes known to contain financial records or personal health information (usually on job applications) were not digitized and/or not published in our online repository as part of the CLIR Digitizing Hidden Collections grant. These microdexes may still be accessed on the original microfilm, and digital files may be made available to individual researchers upon request.
520 frames (1 partial reel)
- Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Nonprofit organizations -- Administration
- Nonprofit organizations -- Finance
- Nonprofit organizations -- Management
- Social service -- California
- Women -- Employment -- California
- Women -- Societies and clubs
- Women in the film and television industry
- World War, 1939-1945 -- War work -- Young Women's Christian associations
- Young Women's Christian associations -- California
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063