Birth control collection
Scope and Contents
This small collection is comprised of mostly books, plus one box of pamphlets, flyers, and other publications dating from 1923 to 2000, with the bulk of the materials dating from the 1930s. Topics relate primarily to uses and misuses of contraception; family planning; sex in marriage; sex instruction; histories of the treatment of contraception by the church; population problems; fertility; and sterility.
Dates of Materials
- Creation: 1923-2000
- Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History (Organization)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials in this collection may be governed by copyright. For reproductions of materials that are governed by fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. Researchers are responsible for determining who may hold materials' copyrights and obtaining approval from them. Researchers do not need anything further from Smith College Special Collections to move forward with their use.
2.625 linear feet (4 containers)
This small collection is comprised of mostly books, plus some pamphlets, flyers, and other. Documents uses and misuses of contraception; family planning; sex in marriage; sex instruction; histories of the treatment of contraception by the church; population problems; fertility; and sterility.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Most of the books in this collection were transferred from Neilson Library, Smith College. Other materials were either purchased or given to the Sophia Smith Collection by various donors.
Finding aid revised in 2002.
Genre / Form
- Birth control -- 20th century
- Birth control advocates
- Birth control movement
- Contraceptives -- Research
- Human reproduction -- Political aspects
- Hygiene, Sexual -- 20th century
- Population policy -- 20th century
- Sex in marriage
- Sex instruction -- United States
- Women -- Health and hygiene
- Women's health services
- Birth control collection
- Finding Aid
- Finding aid prepared by mnsss.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2005-09-23: mnsss83 converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02-5c.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- 2017-07-26T17:48:24-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
- 2019-04-26: Made paper FA pencil edit changes.
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063