Communism, socialism, and radical left politics collection
Scope and Contents
The Communism, Socialism, and Left-Wing Politics Collection consists of printed material documenting women's involvement in socialist and communist movements in the United States, United Kingdom, and internationally. It is divided into two series: BIOGRAPHICAL MATERIALS and PRINTED MATERIALS. BIOGRAPHICAL MATERIALS includes pamphlets by and about communist and socialist women: Ella Reeve Bloor, Adeline Champney, Elizabeth Gurley Flynn, Dolores (Pasionaria) Ibarruri, Zelda Kahan, Rosa Luxembourg, Betty Millard, Kate Richards O'Hare, Anna Louise Strong, and Clara Zetkin. There is also a photograph of Elizabeth Gurley Flynn. The PRINTED MATERIALS contain newspaper clippings including those about the U.S. Communist Party's newspaper the Daily Worker, miscellaneous pamphlets, and printed material on Communism in the United States and Great Britain. These reflect both pro- and anti-communist perspectives. There are also pamphlets about the Palmer raids as well as several published by the Fabian Society in Great Britain.
Dates of Materials
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials in this collection may be governed by copyright. For reproductions of materials that are governed by fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. Researchers are responsible for determining who may hold materials' copyrights and obtaining approval from them. Researchers do not need anything further from Smith College Special Collections to move forward with their use.
0.875 linear feet (2 containers)
Includes printed materials, correspondence, journals and organizational records documenting women's involvement in socialist and communist movements in the United States, United Kingdom, and internationally. Individuals represented include Ella Reeve Bloor, Adeline Champney, Elizabeth Gurley Flynn, Dolores (Pasionaria) Ibarruri, Zelda Kahan, Rosa Luxembourg, Betty Millard, Kate Richards O'Hare, Anna Louise Strong, and Clara Zetkin.
This collection is organized into two series:
- I. BIOGRAPHICAL MATERIALS
- II. PRINTED MATERIALS
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Materials in this subject collection were either purchased or given to the Sophia Smith Collection by various donors.
Collection reprocessed in 2008 by Susan Boone.
- Biographical sketches
- Bloor, Ella Reeve, 1862-1951
- Communist Party of the United States of America
- Flynn, Elizabeth Gurley
- Ibárruri, Dolores, 1895-
- Left wing political movements
- Left wing political movements
- Luxemburg, Rosa, 1871-1919
- O'Hare, Kate Richards, 1877-1948
- Strong, Anna Louise, 1885-1970
- Women and communism
- Women communists
- Communism, socialism, and radical left politics collection
- Finding Aid
- Finding aid prepared by Susan Boone
- 2003. Revised 2008
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2005-09-23: mnsss85 converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02-5c.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- 2017-07-26T17:48:24-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063