Women of Rock Oral History Project records
Scope and Contents
This collection includes oral histories of women and gender non-conforming rock musicians prominent from the late twentieth century to the present. Interview narrators were chosen by Tanya Pearson. Interviews are available as videorecordings; and transcripts are available for some interviews. The remaining transcripts will be available after 2025.
Dates of Materials
- Pearson, Tanya (Interviewer, Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Several of the oral histories in this series have restrictions on access to the full interview. Please see the notes attached to an individual interview for information about restrictions that apply to it.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright to all interviews in this collection is held by Tanya Pearson until 2025. After 2025, copyright will pass to Smith College.
Biographical / Historical
The Women of Rock Oral History Project began as an independent study project by Tanya Pearson while she was at Smith College. During that time, and since graduating, Pearson has collected the stories of musicians who rose to prominence before the advent of modern web-based tools for documenting their lives and work. This project is ongoing.
154.5 Gigabytes (167 digital files)
The Women of Rock Oral History Project documents the lives and careers of women in rock who have been underrepresented or omitted from rock journalism and historical scholarship. The project, created and managed by Tanya Pearson, seeks to facilitate a more comprehensive cultural history, by women, for women and gender non-conforming individuals who have historically been silenced or overlooked as a result of their gender.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
This collection was received from the donor in digital form. Most, but not all interviews are available online. Please consult with Special Collections staff or email email@example.com to request access to digital content that cannotbe accessed online.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Tanya Pearson, 2015-2018.
Existence and Location of Copies
Most interviews in this collection are available online. See links in contents listing. Please consult with Special Collections staff or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to digital content that is not online.
The digital files received from the donor on external hard drives were copied to networked storage by Special Collections staff for preservation and access. Access copies were created for online use.
- Arthur, Kat
- Bag, Alice
- Ballance, Laura
- Barber-Way, Mish
- Bianco, Ginger (Interviewee)
- Bonham, Tracy
- Bozulich, Carla
- Cafritz, Julie
- Cervenka, Exene (Interviewee)
- Darling, Brie (Howard)
- Dorsey, Gail Ann
- Electronic records
- Gardner, Eva (Interviewee)
- Gonzales, Michelle Cruz
- Gordon, Nina, 1967-
- Hansen, Bibbe
- Hersh, Kristin
- Lunch, Lydia
- Manson, Shirley (Interviewee)
- Miss Guy
- Oral history
- Pearson, Tanya
- Post, Louise
- Ravan, Genya (Interviewee)
- Roessler, Kira
- Ross, Cynthia
- Samson, JD, 1978-
- Schellenbach, Kate (Interviewee)
- Schemel, Patty, 1967-
- Smith, Viola (Interviewee)
- Snail, Azalia
- Sparks, Donita
- Sumner, Kate
- Timony, Mary
- Veruca Salt (Musical group)
- Wiggs, Josephine, 1963-
- Wolfe, Allison
- Women in the music trade
- Women musicians
- Women rock musicians
- Zedek , Thalia (Interviewee)
- de Buhr, Alice
- Finding aid to Women of Rock Oral History Project oral histories
- Minimum Finding Aid (Completed)
- Maureen Callahan and Jasmine Jones
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- The project was made possible with the support of a Helen Gurley Brown Magic Grant.
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2017-07-26T17:48:23-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
- 2018-04-09: Finding aid revised by Margaret Jessup reflecting new additions, digital objects, and additional administrative information.
- 2020-05-18: Agents and access and use notes added to interviews
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063