Anne MacKay papers
Scope and Contents
- 1910 - 2013
- MacKay, Anne (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Anne MacKay was an amateur theatre director, playwright, and author, who was prominent in the lesbian community of New York in the 20th century. She was born in New York, NY on March 31, 1928 to Franklin MacKay and Isabel (Dorman) MacKay. She grew up in New York City, Corning, and Orient, NY; Pittsfield, MA; and Berkeley, CA. Summers were spent with extended family in Orient, NY, on the North Fork of Long Island. MacKay attended the Dalton School in New York, and graduated from Vassar College in 1949. From 1949 to 1953, she was stage manager for various New York theater companies, and from 1953 to 1973 she taught Drama at the Dalton School. She was employed as Director of Theatre Arts at the Horace Mann School in New York from 1973 to 1991, when she retired.
MacKay was active in the amateur theater scene, creating and directing three lesbian musical revues, including "Taking Liberties," performed at Symphony Space in New York in 1984. She also wrote poetry and several books about lesbianism and other topics, including Wolf Girls of Vassar on the experience of lesbian students at Vassar. MacKay was active in the Vassar Alumnae community, and founded the Lesbian and Gay Alumnae of Vassar College. She was also a member of a lesbian community on Long Island's North Fork and a founder of that group's women's health initiative, the North Fork Women for Women Fund, for which she also served as archivist. She died in 2012.
18.105 linear feet (19 boxes)
- Theater and Music Productions
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Authors, American--20th century--Biography--Sources
- Lesbian communities--United States--History
- Lesbians -- United States -- Biography -- Sources
- Lesbians--United States--Biography--Sources
- MacKay, Anne
- MacKay, Anne (ed.) She Went A-Whaling: The Journal of Martha Smith Brewer Brown (1993)
- MacKay, Anne (ed.). Wolf girls at Vassar : lesbian and gay experiences, 1930-1990 (1992)
- MacKay, Anne. Just lucky, I guess!: memoirs of a Wolf girl, or, Growing up in sheep's clothing (1995)
- Vassar College--Students--History
- Finding aid to the Anne MacKay papers
- Minimum Finding Aid (Completed)
- Sylvia Hickman, Madison White, and Madeline Michels
- Description rules
- Language of description
- 2017-07-26T17:48:24-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
- 2018-10-04: Updated legacy finding aid and added some further notes.
- 2019-06-04: Updated with new arrangement and added container inventory
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
4 Tyler Drive
Northampton MA 01063