Miscellaneous memorabilia collection
Scope and Contents
The Miscellaneous Memorabilia Collection contains postcards of women and historic sites pertaining to women; photographs and other images, mostly unidentified, of women and families; and numerous political buttons and tie pins reflecting the opinions of various types of activism, mostly feminism. Received from various donors, the postcard collection is eclectic in that it contains images of women who represent a range of social callings and political persuasions from Susan B. Anthony and Harriet Beecher Stowe, to Marilyn Monroe, Cleopatra, and Miss America. The photographs include portraits, snapshots, and postcards of women and families organized by decades. Also included are 31 commemorative portrait medallions of famous women, issued from 1968 to 1979 by the Societe Commemorative de Femmes Celebres, plus newsletters and related documents, as well as a few posters from the March for Women's Lives in Washington, DC, April 2004.
Dates of Materials
- Creation: 1850s-2004
- Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History (Organization)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials in this collection may be governed by copyright. For reproductions of materials that are governed by fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. Researchers are responsible for determining who may hold materials' copyrights and obtaining approval from them. Researchers do not need anything further from Smith College Special Collections to move forward with their use.
9.313 linear feet (11 containers)
Includes postcards of women and historic sites pertaining to women, unidentified photographs of women and families, political buttons, and posters.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Materials in this subject collection were either purchased or given to the Sophia Smith Collection by various donors.
Finding aid revised in 2005.
- Miscellaneous memorabilia collection
- Finding Aid
- Finding aid prepared by mnsss.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2005-09-23: mnsss104 converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02-5c.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- 2017-07-26T17:48:10-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063