Scope and Contents
Dates of Materials
- Majority of material found within 1970-1978
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use without restriction beyond the standard terms and conditions of Smith College Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission is required to cite the papers or for quotations beyond "fair use." Copyright to materials in this collection is owned by the individuals and organizations who authored them, or their heirs and assigns.
4.564 linear feet (11 containers)
This collection consists of printed materials that document the evolution of attitudes and approaches to lesbian, gay, and bisexual people and organizations from 1932-1995 (mostly the 1970s), and documents the political struggles of lesbians, gay men, and bisexuals to oppose homophobic discrimination in U.S. society. Also of interest are numerous newsletters, periodicals and leaflets that document lesbian organizing in Western Massachusetts.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Multiple donors have contributed to this subject collection.
Processed by Nichole Calero, 2012. Finding aid written by Kate Weigand and Nichole Calero.
- Civil rights (LGBTQ)
- Gay liberation movement -- 20th century
- Gender identity -- 20th century
- Homosexuality -- Psychological aspects -- 20th century
- LGBTQ people -- Periodicals
- Lesbian and queer women
- Lesbian community
- Lesbian feminism
- Lesbians -- Periodicals
- Lesbians -- United States
- Lesbians in literature
- Homosexuality/LGBT collection
- Finding Aid
- Finding aid prepared by Nichole Calero and Kate Weigand.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2017-07-26T17:48:10-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063