Clark-Warner family correspondence
Scope and Contents
Correspondence of two generations of a family residing in western Massachusetts (principally South Hadley). Most of the correspondence was within the family, but there are also a few letters from friends. The major components are the courtship letters of Asel Clark and Clarissa Warner, l834-35; other letters received by Clarissa (Warner) Clark at this time and in later years; and correspondence among their five children, l862-77. Among the major subjects are courtship, opportunities for resettlement, and communication between separated family members. The overall arrangement is by generation and then by sender.
Asel and Clarissa Warner Clark (d. 1876) and their five children resided in South Hadley, Massachusetts circa 1830s to 1860s. No other biographical information is available.
Dates of Materials
- Creation: 1834-1877
- Clark-Warner family (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use without restriction beyond the standard terms and conditions of Smith College Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The Sophia Smith Collection owns copyright to the works created by Clark-Warner family members. Copyright to materials created by others may be owned by those individuals or their heirs or assigns. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights. Permission must be obtained from the Sophia Smith Collection to publish reproductions or quotations beyond "fair use."
0.229 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
Correspondence of two generations of a family residing in western Massachusetts (principally South Hadley) in the nineteenth century. The major components are the courtship letters of Asel Clark and Clarissa Warner; other letters received by Clarissa (Warner) Clark at this time and in later years; and correspondence of their five children.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Eleanor Croddard Worthen (great-granddaughter) in l986. Letters of the fourth generation of this family are in Margaret Holt Papers (sister of Eleanor).
Finding aid revised, 2003.
Genre / Form
- Massachusetts -- Social life and customs -- 19th century
- South Hadley (Mass.: Town) -- 19th century
- United States -- Social life and customs -- 19th century
- Clark-Warner family correspondence
- Finding Aid
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2005-09-23: mnsss121 converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02-5c.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- 2017-07-26T17:48:10-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063