Miscellaneous manuscripts collection
Scope and Contents
About half of the collection dates from the nineteenth century and consists primarily of correspondence, diaries, and unpublished memoirs from unknown, or little known, women. Also included are a few letters from well-known figures such as Susan B. Anthony, Alice Stone Blackwell, Alice Morse Earle, Edward Everett Hale, Julia Ward Howe, and Frances Willard; a photo of Harriet Beecher Stowe; and autographed quotations by William Lloyd Garrison, Isabella Beecher Hooker, and Elizabeth Cady Stanton.
The twentieth century material is more varied. In addition to correspondence, diaries and memoirs, it includes many photographs (both loose and in albums), some genealogical material, and other miscellaneous memorabilia. Well-known figures represented in the correspondence include Booker T. Washington and Madame Chiang Kai-shek. The letters of Ellen Downes, a Naval secretary, written from Japan, Washington D.C., and Moscow between 1937 and 1948, are accompanied by photos and are very descriptive. A family photo album belonging to a woman identified only as "Gertrude" contains many interesting photographs, including some of Native Americans and some of cross-dressed women, taken in California, Albuquerque, and Canada, circa 1905 to 1913.
- 1814-2005 (ongoing)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
9 boxes (3.25 linear feet (3 volumes))
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Additions to the Collection
- Anthony, Susan B. (Susan Brownell), 1820-1906--Correspondence
- Blackwell, Alice Stone, 1857-1950
- Blanchard, Dallas
- Chiang, May-ling Soong, 1897- --Correspondence
- Earle, Alice Morse, 1851-1911
- England -- Social life and customs -- 19th century
- Europe -- Description and travel
- Family -- United States -- 19th century
- Hale, Edward Everett, 1822-1909--Correspondence
- Howe, Julia Ward, 1819-1910--Correspondence
- Paige, Virginia
- United States -- Description and travel
- Waller, Martha S.
- Washington, Booker T., 1856-1915--Correspondence
- Willard, Frances Elizabeth, 1839-1898--Correspondence
- Wilson, Leila Fosburgh
- Women -- Religion
- Women -- United States -- 19th century
- Women -- United States -- 20th century
- photograph albums
- Miscellaneous manuscripts collection
- Finding Aid
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2005-09-23: mnsss147 converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02-5c.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- 2017-07-26T17:48:11-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
4 Tyler Drive
Northampton MA 01063