Miscellaneous organizations collection
Scope and Contents
U.S. organizations include the American Women's Association, Association for the Advancement of Women, National Consumers League, National Council of Negro Women, Girl Scouts, National Woman's Party, Sigma Delta Epsilon (Graduate Women in Science), and the Women's Educational and Industrial Union. Individuals represented in the collection include Ethel Andrus (American Association of Retired Persons) and Susan Paul Vashon (Missouri Federation of Colored Women). Some of the more obscure organizations found in the collection include the Temporary Asylum for Discharged Female Prisoners (1875); Massachusetts Home for Intemperate Women (1892); and the Women's Patriotic Association for Diminishing The Use of Imported Luxuries (1864).
Some of the organizations that are well-represented under other countries include Black Sash (South Africa), the Young Women's Christian Association (in various countries), Women's Culture Club (Thailand), Lanka Mahila Samiti (Ceylon), Büro fur Frauenfragen (Germany), All Pakistan Women's Association, and the Fawcett Society (England).
SERIES II. INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS includes women's organizations and congresses that are international in scope and purpose. Topics include women's rights, peace, professional women networks, economic development, international law, and international cooperation. Organizations include the Associated Country Women of the World, International Federation of University Women, International Planned Parenthood Federation, and the World YWCA. A large section documents the United Nations' activities relating to women, such as the Commission on the Status of Women, International Women's Year, the Decade for Women, and various reports on the status of women around the world.
Dates of Materials
- 1824-2011 (ongoing)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
37 boxes (18 linear feet)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Additions to the Collection
- African American women -- Societies and clubs
- American Women's Association
- Annual reports
- Associated Country Women of the World
- Biographical sketches
- International Federation of University Women
- International Planned Parenthood Federation
- Jewish women -- United States -- Societies and clubs
- Motion pictures
- National Consumers' League
- National Council of Negro Women
- National Woman's Party
- Weck, Wilnor Neebe
- Women -- International cooperation -- 20th century
- Women -- Societies and clubs
- Women in charitable work -- United States
- Women in politics
- Women in the labor movement
- Women in the professions
- Women social reformers
- Women's rights -- Congresses
- Women's rights -- International cooperation -- 20th century
- World's Young Women's Christian Association
- Miscellaneous organizations collection
- Finding Aid
- Jennifer Smar and Margaret Jessup
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2005-09-23: mnsss180 converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02-5c.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- 2017-07-26T17:48:12-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
4 Tyler Drive
Northampton MA 01063