Scope and Contents
The Education Collection includes bibliographies, reports, papers, articles, biographies, textbooks, teaching materials, pamphlets, newspaper clippings, conference programs, proposals, scholarly papers, course syllabi and correspondence pertaining to women's education. There are a few original manuscript items. Areas of focus are sexism in education, continuing education, Women's Studies, higher education, physical education, the American Labor Education Service, women's education in other countries, and in individual states. There is a substantial collection of catalogues and other printed material related to individual colleges, universities, and secondary schools from the nineteenth century. Under the topic of Women's Studies, there is information on associations, programs, research centers and conferences.
Dates of Materials
- Creation: 1785 - 2005
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1970s
- Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for use without restriction beyond the standard terms and conditions of Smith College Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
To the extent that they owns copyright, the donors have assigned the copyright in her works to Smith College; however, copyright in other items in this collection may be held by their respective creators. For reproductions of materials that are governed by fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. For instances which may regard materials in the collection not created by the donors, researchers are responsible for determining who may hold materials' copyrights and obtaining approval from them. Researchers do not need anything further from Smith College Special Collections to move forward with their use.
25.274 linear feet (64 containers)
Language of Materials
The Education Collection includes bibliographies, reports, papers, articles, biographies, textbooks, teaching materials, pamphlets, newspaper clippings, conference programs, proposals, scholarly papers, course syllabi and correspondence pertaining to women's education.
Other Finding Aids
OCLC Number: 50490761
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Karen Lederer (1993), Pamela Daly Vose (1990), Nan Wiegersma, Setsuko Iijima, and Lucy Therina Briggs. Accession numbers: 02S-34, 05S-03, 15S-29. Accessions were received on the following dates: 2002-07-31, 2003-07-23, 2015-04-10.
Integrated the collection Spanish Association of University Women records (SSC-MS-00590, one half-legal archive box) into this collection.
Genre / Form
- Coeducation -- United States
- College teachers
- Physical education for women -- 20th century
- Sex discrimination in education
- Women -- Education
- Women -- Education (Higher) -- United States
- Women educators
- Women in higher education
- Women of color -- Education
- Women's studies
- Working class -- Education -- United States -- Periodicals
- Finding Aid to the Education collection
- Legacy Finding Aid (Updated)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2017-07-26T17:48:13-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
- 2018-12-14: updated to current descriptive standards
- 2019-04-25: Made paper FA pencil edit changes.
- 2019-11-08: Integrated the Spanish Association of University Women records (SSC-MS-00590) into this collection - box #60.
- 2020-11-19: Updated 5 flat files
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063