Zelie De Lussan papers
Scope and Contents
The Zélie De Lussan papers include biographical information; photographs; notebooks; concert programs and scrapbooks, including material from performances before Queen Victoria; correspondence; and posters.
Dates of Materials
- 1863 - 1949
- De Lussan, Zelie (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for use without restriction beyond the standard terms and conditions of Smith College Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials in this collection may be governed by copyright. For reproductions of materials that are governed by fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. Researchers are responsible for determining who may hold materials' copyrights and obtaining approval from them. Researchers do not need anything further from Smith College Special Collections to move forward with their use.
Biographical / Historical
Zélie De Lussan (1863-1949) was born in Brooklyn but lived in London most of her life. She began her career as an opera singer at age 16 in 1889 with the Carl Rosa Company in London. From 1890-1910, she performed in the Royal Opera Covent Garden, and she performed with New York City's Metropolitan Opera, 1895-96. She toured the U.S. with the Metropolitan, circa 1900. In 1907, she married pianist Angelo Ronani. De Lussan performed the role of Carmen "over 500 times," and she was a favorite of Queen Victoria.
0.417 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
Zelie De Lussan was an opera singer. Papers include biographical information; photographs; notebooks; concert programs and scrapbooks, including material from performances before Queen Victoria; correspondence; and posters.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Helen Calvocoressi Offenhauser. Year unknown.
- De Lussan, Zelie
- Delibes, Leo, 1836-1891
- Kuester, Despina Offenhauser
- Metropolitan Opera (New York, N.Y.)
- Offenhauser, Helen Calvocoressi
- Opera -- England -- London
- Opera -- United States
- Patti, Adelina, 1843-1919
- Royal Opera House (London, England)
- Singers -- United States
- Sopranos (Singers) -- United States
- Women in the music trade
- Finding aid to the Zelie De Lussan papers
- Legacy Finding Aid (Updated)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2017-07-26T17:48:14-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
- 2019-03-22: Added paper finding aid info. and updated finding aid
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063