YWCA of the U.S.A. records, Record Group 1. General and history
Scope and Contents
This record group contains reference files compiled from the National Board Library collection and National Board Archives providing general historical information about the YWCA of the U.S.A., its organizational structure, requirements for membership, and affiliation with the World YWCA. Also included are biographical files on staff and board members and reference files on the World YWCA and national YWCAs in other countries. Historical notes for each series are not included in this record. Where applicable, the Series Descriptions refer researchers to relevant historical notes in other sections.
Dates of Materials
- YWCA of the U.S.A. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for use without restriction beyond the standard terms and conditions of Smith College Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
To the extent that it owns copyright, YWCA of the USA has retained copyright in its works donated to Smith College, but has has authorized Smith College Special Collections to grant permission to publish reproductions or quotations from the records on its behalf.
Copyright in other items in this collection may be held by their respective creators. For reproductions of materials that are governed by fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. For those few instances beyond fair use, or which may regard materials in the collection not created by YWCA of the USA, researchers are responsible for determining who may hold materials' copyrights and obtaining approval from them. Researchers do not need anything further from Smith College Special Collections to move forward with their use.
37.797 linear feet (85 containers)
Language of Materials
This record group contains reference files compiled from the National Board Library collection and National Board Archives providing general historical information about the YWCA of the U.S.A., its organizational structure, requirements for membership, and affiliation with the World YWCA. Also included are biographical files on staff and board members and reference files on the World YWCA and national YWCAs in other countries. Forms part of the YWCA of the U.S.A. Records.
This record group is arranged in the following series:
- Membership of individuals
- Biographical files
- Reference files
- World YWCA reference files
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The YWCA of the U.S.A. donated a portion of its records to the Sophia Smith Collection in 1964 and the remainder in 2002 and 2003.
Processed by Maida Goodwin, Amy Hague, Kara McClurken, Amanda Izzo, 2008 FY 07-08
- Finding aid to the YWCA of the U.S.A. records, Record Group 1. General and History
- Legacy Finding Aid (Updated)
- Finding aid prepared by Maida Goodwin, Amy Hague, Kara McClurken, Amanda Izzo, and amended by Scott Biddle (2020).
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Processing of the YWCA Records was made possible by the generous support of the National Historical Records and Publications Commission and the estate of Elizabeth Norris. Digitization and enhanced description of the microfilm records, a portion of the photographs, and most of the publications was made possible by the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) Digitizing Hidden Collections grant in 2016-2018.
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 8/13/2019: Updated with current language, and with post-CLIR grant info
- 2020-08-28: Added info. to flat file folders
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063