YWCA of the U.S.A. records, Record Group 3. National administrative office records
Scope and Contents
This record group consists of the YWCA's national administrative office files including records from the office of the General Secretary (later Executive Secretary, later Chief Executive Officer), records on buildings and properties owned by the national organization, finance and development files, and records of the departments of data and statistics, library and archives, and publicity.
Dates of Materials
- 1907 - 2002
- YWCA of the U.S.A. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use with the following restrictions on access: Some materials are closed at the direction of the donating organization for 75 years from the date of creation. Please see access notes at the file level for specific access information.
Conditions Governing Use
To the extent that it owns copyright, YWCA of the USA has retained copyright in its works donated to Smith College, but has has authorized Smith College Special Collections to grant permission to publish reproductions or quotations from the records on its behalf.
Copyright in other items in this collection may be held by their respective creators. For reproductions of materials that are governed by fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. For those few instances beyond fair use, or which may regard materials in the collection not created by YWCA of the USA, researchers are responsible for determining who may hold materials' copyrights and obtaining approval from them. Researchers do not need anything further from Smith College Special Collections to move forward with their use.
65.881 linear feet (145 containers)
Language of Materials
This record group consists of the YWCA of the U.S.A.'s national administrative office files including records from the office of the General Secretary (later Executive Secretary, later Chief Executive Officer), records on buildings and properties owned by the national organization, finance and development files, and records of the departments of data and statistics, library and archives, and publicity. Forms part of the YWCA of the U.S.A. Records.
YWCA of the U.S.A. Record Group 3., National administrative office records, is arranged in six Series:
- General administration
- Buildings and properties
- Finance and development
- Data and statistics
- Library and archives
Series I. General administration records, is arranged in 15 subseries
- Conferences, meetings, and summits
- Legal materials
- Mission and purpose
- National office and national staff
- Programs and projects
- Public relations
- Racial justice
- Speeches and statements
Series III. Finance and financial development is organized in three subseries:
- Finance and development
- Comptroller's office
Series IV. Data and statistics, is organized in six subseries:
- General and history
- Forms and guidelines
- Studies and reports
Series V. Library and archives, is organized in six subseries:
- General and history
- Committee and department
- YWCA history subject files
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The YWCA of the U.S.A. donated a portion of its records to the Sophia Smith Collection in 1964 and the remainder in 2002 and 2003.
Processed by Maida Goodwin, Amy Hague, Kara McClurken, Amanda Izzo, 2008.
- African American civil rights
- American College for Girls (Istanbul, Turkey)
- Anti-communist movements -- United States
- Civil rights movements -- United States -- 20th century
- Nonprofit organizations -- Management
- Norris, Elizabeth
- Race awareness -- United States
- United Service Organizations (U.S.)
- United States -- Race relations
- World Young Women's Christian Association
- Young Men's Christian Association
- Young Women's Christian associations
- Finding aid to the YWCA of the U.S.A. records, Record Group 3. National administrative office records
- Legacy Finding Aid (Updated)
- Finding aid prepared by Maida Goodwin, Amy Hague, Kara McClurken, Amanda Izzo in 2008, with significant editing by Christie Peterson in 2019, and amended by Scott Biddle (2020).
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Processing of the YWCA Records was made possible by the generous support of the National Historical Records and Publications Commission and the estate of Elizabeth Norris. Digitization and description of a selection of photographs, microfilm, and publications was made possible by the Council on Library and Information Resource (CLIR) 2106-2018 Digitizing Hidden Collections grant.
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2019-08-14: Parsed existing description into better fields for PUI. Updated with current language, and with post-CLIR grant info
- 2020-08-28: Added info. to flat file folders
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063