Informed Homebirth/Informed Birth and Parenting records
Scope and Contents
The Informed Homebirth/Informed Birth and Parenting records include publications, video and audio tapes, and teaching manuals for childbirth education and childbirth assistant training, conferences, and workshops; books and articles on home birth and midwifery; Michigan Midwives Association newsletters; financial records; and professional papers of Rahima Baldwin Dancy, 1980s-1990s.
Dates of Materials
- Creation: 1975 - 1999
- Informed Homebirth/Informed Birth and Parenting (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use without restriction beyond the standard terms and conditions of Smith College Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials in this collection may be governed by copyright. For reproductions of materials that are governed by fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. Researchers are responsible for determining who may hold materials' copyrights and obtaining approval from them. Researchers do not need anything further from Smith College Special Collections to move forward with their use.
Biographical / Historical
Informed Homebirth/Informed Birth and Parenting is a national, non-profit, educational organization founded in 1977 by Rahima Baldwin Dancy in Ann Arbor, Michigan (now in Fair Oaks, California) as Informed Homebirth. In 1983, the name was changed. Its mission is to provide parents with information about alternatives in birth, parenting, and early childhood through childbirth preparation classes, books and videos, seminars and conferences, childbirth education training and certification, referrals, and childbirth assistant training and certification.
7.583 linear feet (7 containers)
Language of Materials
Women's health care organization. Records include teaching manuals for childbirth education and childbirth assistant training, conferences, and workshops; publications on home birth and midwifery; video and audio tapes; and some professional papers of founder Rahima Baldwin Dancy.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
As a preservation measure, researchers must use digital copies of audiovisual materials in this collection. Please consult with Special Collections staff or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the creation of and access to digital copies.
Other Finding Aids
OCLC Number: 49517301
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Rahima Baldwin Dancy, 1998.
Genre / Form
- Childbirth -- United States -- 20th century
- Childbirth at home -- United States -- 20th century
- Maternal health services -- United States -- 20th century
- Natural childbirth -- 20th century
- Parenting -- United States -- 20th century
- Reproductive and sexual health
- Women in medicine
- Finding aid to Informed Homebirth/Informed Birth and Parenting records
- Legacy Finding Aid (Updated)
- Ellice Amanna
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2017-07-26T17:48:16-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
- 2019-11-14: Box level inventory added and finding aid revised to current standards
- Location of donor files
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063