Massachusetts Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of administrative records from 1971-2001, and includes policies and procedures; the organization's bylaws and constitution; records of the executive board; membership directories and lists; officers' reports; financial records; records of competitions, tournaments and championships; and reports of committees.
Dates of Materials
- 1971 - 2001
Conditions Governing Access
Open with caveat: collection has not been fully processed and therefore may be difficult to use.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials in this collection may be governed by copyright. For reproductions of materials that are governed by fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. Researchers are responsible for determining who may hold materials' copyrights and obtaining approval from them. Researchers do not need anything further from Smith College Special Collections to move forward with their use.
Biographical / Historical
The MAIAW was founded in 1971 to promote competitions among female athletes in Massachusetts colleges. The organization initially promoted basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, tennis and field hockey, and added softball, cross-country and soccer as time went on. The MAIAW's primary function is to organize intercollegiate tournaments.
9.771 linear feet (11 containers)
Language of Materials
Administrative records of an intercollegiate athletic association to promote competitions among female athletes in Massachusetts colleges. Included are membership directories, reports, and records of competitions, tournaments and championships. NOTE: There is no container list online for this finding aid. You may contact the Sophia Smith Collection if you want one sent to you.
This collection has been added to over time in multiple "accessions." An accession is a group of materials received from the same source at approximately the same time. Note that in most cases, container numbers start over at 1 with each new accession.
- Bals, Nancy
- College sports -- Massachusetts -- Organization and administration
- Financial records
- Forms (documents)
- Massachusetts Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women
- Membership applications
- Physical education for women -- 20th century
- Silva, Cheryl
- Sports -- Massachusetts
- Sports for women -- Massachusetts -- Organization and administration
- Women in sports
- Women in sports -- Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women records
- Finding Aid
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2017-07-26T17:48:17-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
- 2021-06-29: Added content description from accession inventories
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063