National Organization for Women. Greater Springfield Chapter records
Scope and Contents
The records of the NOW Springfield Chapter include administrative records, membership records, correspondence, minutes, newsletters, financial material. Also included are subject files, project and program material, national and state NOW records, records generated by other organizations, material distributed by other organizations, miscellaneous printed material, feminist memorabilia, and audiovisual material.
Dates of Materials
- Creation: 1976-1989
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use without restriction beyond the standard terms and conditions of Smith College Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The Sophia Smith Collection owns copyright to the unpublished works by the creator of this collection. Copyright to materials created by others may be owned by those individuals or their heirs or assigns. Permission must be obtained to publish reproductions or quotations beyond "fair use." It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Biographical / Historical
The Springfield chapter of the National Organization for Women was established in 1977 in order to create an organized feminist presence in Springfield and to take action to bring women into full participation in the mainstream of American society now, exercising all privileges and responsibilities thereof in truly equal partnership with men. This purpose includes, but is not limited to, equal rights and responsibilities in all aspects of citizenship, public service, employment, education, and family life, and it includes freedom from discrimination because of age, marital status, sexual preference, and parenthood.
3.25 linear feet (3 containers)
Records of the NOW Springfield Chapter include administrative records, membership records, correspondence, minutes, newsletters, financial material, projects and programs, national and state NOW material, feminist memorabilia, and audiovisual material.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Ronnie Leavitt, 1990.
- Leavitt, Ronnie (Person)
- National Organization for Women. Springfield (Mass.) Chapter (Organization)
- National Organization for Women. Greater Springfield Chapter (Springfield, Mass.) (Organization)
- Leavitt, Ronnie (Donor, Person)
Genre / Form
- Abused women -- Services for -- Massachusetts
- Equal rights amendments -- United States
- Feminists -- Massachusetts -- 20th century
- Pro-choice movement -- Massachusetts
- Teenage pregnancy -- Massachusetts
- Women -- Massachusetts -- Springfield
- Women's liberation
- Women's rights -- Massachusetts -- 20th century
- Finding aid to the National Organization for Women. Greater Springfield Chapter records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2017-07-26T17:48:17-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063