Rosenbloom family papers
Scope and Contents
Correspondence of Carl. W. Rosenbloom, M.D. and his fiancee (later his wife), Lena Berinstein, written while Carl pursued further medical training in Europe and Lena remained in Holyoke, Massachusetts. There are also a few photographs (reproductions).
Dates of Materials
- Rosenbloom family (Family)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use without restriction beyond the standard terms and conditions of Smith College Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The Sophia Smith Collection owns copyright to the unpublished works by the creator of this collection. Copyright to materials created by others may be owned by those individuals or their heirs or assigns. Permission must be obtained to publish reproductions or quotations beyond "fair use." It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Biographical / Historical
Lena Berinstein (26 Jun 1894-2 Mar 1971) was born in Springfield, MA to Sarah and Morris Berinstein. She graduated from Central High School in Springfield, MA in the early 1900s. She married Carl W. Rosenbloom (1 May 1884-2 Mar 1949), a physician, who was born in Vilkie, Lithuania to Rachel Rosenbloom and Abraham Werbalsky. He emigrated to the U.S. at age 16 to join his sister. Carl Rosenbloom graduated from Tufts University Medical School circa 1907. He studied and practiced medicine in Vienna, beginning in 1914 and Lena joined him there after their marriage in the 1920s. Later they returned to the U.S. They resided in Holyoke, MA where Carl had his practice. The couple had a daughter, Sally, and a son, Arthur.
2 boxes (1 linear feet)
Homemaker; Physician. Correspondence of Carl. W. Rosenbloom, M.D. and his fiancee (later his wife), Lena Berinstein, written while Carl pursued further medical training in Europe and Lena remained in Holyoke, Massachusetts. There are also a few photographs (reproductions).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Rosenbloom Family Papers were donated to the Sophia Smith Collection by Sally Edelstein in 2007.
Processed by Burd Schlessinger, 2007
- Courtship -- United States -- 20th century
- Holyoke (Mass.)
- Immigrants -- United States
- Jewish women
- Jews -- United States -- 20th century
- Medicine -- Study and teaching -- 20th century
- Physicians -- United States
- Rosenbloom family
- Rosenbloom, Carl Werbalsky, 1884-1949
- Rosenbloom, Lena Berinstein, 1894-1971
- Significant others
- Travelers' writings
- Vienna (Austria) -- 20th century
- Rosenbloom family papers
- Finding Aid
- Finding aid prepared by Burd Schlessinger.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2017-07-26T17:48:19-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063