Women at War Oral History Project oral histories
Scope and Contents
Oral histories (transcripts and video recordings) of six women veterans (Jill Caliri, Shannon Donnelly, Mary Fisher, Marlisa Grogan, Margaret Oglesby, and Lydia Rodriguez) who served in Afghanistan and Iraq between 2001-2006. There are also materials relating to the play "Women at War: Bringing the Voices of Military Women to the Stage," based on the oral histories, written and produced by Revan Schendler and John Hadden.
Dates of Materials
- Schendler, Revan (Interviewer, Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for use without restriction beyond the standard terms and conditions of Smith College Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The Sophia Smith Collection owns copyright to the unpublished works by the creator of this collection. Copyright to materials created by others may be owned by those individuals or their heirs or assigns. Permission must be obtained to publish reproductions or quotations beyond "fair use." It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Biographical / Historical
The Women at War Oral History Project was conceived and carried out by socioligist and oral historian, Revan Schendler, and playwright/director, John Hadden in 2006. Its purpose was to give voice to women veterans from Western Massachusetts who had served in the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts. Schendler conducted oral histories with six women veterans, and she and Hadden wrote and produced a play based on the interviews called "Women at War: Bringing the Voices of Military Women to the Stage," which was performed at the Northampton (Mass.) Center for the Arts in 2006.
0.438 linear feet (1 container)
Veterans. Oral histories of six women veterans (Jill Caliri, Shannon Donnelly, Mary Fisher, Marlisa Grogan, Margaret Oglesby, and Lydia Rodriguez) who served in Afghanistan and Iraq, circa 2001-2006; and materials relating to the play "Women at War: Bringing the Voices of Military Women to the Stage," written and produced by Revan Schendler and John Hadden.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
As a preservation measure, researchers must use digital copies of audiovisual materials in this collection. Please consult with Special Collections staff or email email@example.com to request the creation of and access to digital copies.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Women at War Oral History Project was donated to the Sophia Smith Collection by Revan Schendler in 2007.
Original videotaped recordings have been copied to DVD for research use.
Processed by Burd Schlessinger, 2007
- Afghan War, 2001- -- Personal narratives, American
- Caliri, Jill
- Computer media
- DVD-Video discs
- Donnelly, Shannon
- Fisher, Mary E.
- Grogan, Marlisa
- Hadden, John
- Iraq War, 2003-2011 -- Personal narratives, American
- Oglesby, Margaret
- Oral histories
- Rodriguez, Lydia
- Schendler, Revan
- United States -- Armed Forces -- Women
- Veterans -- United States
- Women and the military -- United States -- Interviews
- Women soldiers -- United States -- Interviews
- Schendler, Revan (Donor, Person)
- Finding Aid to the Women at War Oral History Project oral histories
- Legacy Finding Aid (Updated)
- Finding aid prepared by Burd Schlessinger.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2017-07-26T17:48:19-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
- 2020-06-15: Added archival objects and interviews
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063