Scope and Contents
The Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Periodicals Collection includes over 1,500 titles of current and historical, U.S. and international women's magazines, newsletters, and other serials dating from the 18th century to the present. Periodicals of the suffrage and birth control movements, and the mid-twentieth century women's liberation movement are well represented. Holdings range from full-runs to single issues for certain titles.
Dates of Materials
- Creation: 1784- (ongoing)
- Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History (Organization)
Language of Materials
English, French , Spanish , German, other
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use without restriction beyond the standard terms and conditions of Smith College Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials in this collection may be copyrighted. Permission must be obtained from the copyright holders and the Sophia Smith Collection to publish reproductions or quotations beyond "fair use." It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
573.788 linear feet (1729 containers)
Periodicals Collection includes over 1,500 titles of current and historical, U.S. and international women's magazines, newsletters, and other serials. Holdings range from full-runs to single subscriptions for certain titles.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The periodicals in this collecion have been donated or purchased from a variety of sources over many years.
Existence and Location of Copies
Some periodicals are are available on microfilm; in Sophia Smith Collection or in Neilson Library.
Genre / Form
- Periodicals collection
- Finding Aid
- Finding aid prepared by Amy Hague
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2017-07-26T17:48:20-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
- 2019-11-18: Removed listings for material not in the collection
- 2020-10-05: Added 45 titles
- 2020-11-03: Added 62 titles
- 2020-11-17: Added 34 titles, removed 25 duplicate or non-existent titles
- 2021-01-27: Container and volume information added
- 2021-06-09: Added Accession 2021-S-0010
- 2022-02-21: Removed reference to "Girl Zines" collection from Scope and Content note, as it's now its own collection
- 2022-04-05: Added Accession 2017-S-0062
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063