Scope and Contents
The SSC Periodicals Collection includes over 1,500 titles of current and historical, U.S. and international women's magazines, newsletters, and other serials dating from the 18th century to the present. Among these are Ladies' Companion (1840-1844), Woman's Journal (1870-1916), Lucifer: The Light Bearer (1897-1901), Eugenesia (Mexico, 1943-1945), Church Woman (1943-1949), Black Sash (South Africa, 1958-1972), and popular 20th century magazines such as Vogue (1950-2000) and Cosmopolitan (1953-92). Periodicals of the suffrage and birth control movements, and the mid-twentieth century women's liberation movement are well represented. The latter include titles such as Off Our Backs, Shrew, Rat and Velvet Fist. There are approximately fifty current subscriptions. Holdings range from full-runs to single issues for certain titles. Some titles are on microfilm.
Girl Zines form part of this collection and consist of 9 linear feet (18 boxes) of small, self-published magazines created primarily by young women and girls and share a strong feminist perspective. There is a separate finding aid for the Girl Zines.
Dates of Materials
- 1784- (ongoing)
Language of Materials
English, French , Spanish , German, other
Conditions Governing Access
Due to their fragility, some materials may not be photocopied.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials in this collection may be copyrighted. Permission must be obtained from the copyright holders and the Sophia Smith Collection to publish reproductions or quotations beyond "fair use." It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
760 linear feet
Periodicals Collection includes over 1,500 titles of current and historical, U.S. and international women's magazines, newsletters, and other serials. Holdings range from full-runs to single subscriptions for certain titles.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The periodicals in this collecion have been donated or purchased from a variety of sources over many years.
Regular additions are made to this collection and may not be reflected in this finding aid.
Existence and Location of Copies
Some periodicals are are available on microfilm; in Sophia Smith Collection or in Neilson Library.
- Birth control -- Periodicals
- Fashion -- Periodicals
- Feminism -- Periodicals
- Lesbianism -- Periodicals
- Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History
- Women -- International cooperation -- Periodicals
- Women -- Suffrage -- Periodicals
- Women's periodicals, American
- Women's rights -- Periodicals
- Young Women's Christian Association of the U.S.A.--Periodicals
- Periodicals collection
- Finding Aid
- Finding aid prepared by Amy Hague
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2017-07-26T17:48:20-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
- 2019-11-18: Removed listings for material not in the collection
- 2020-10-05: Added 45 titles
- 2020-11-03: Added 62 titles
- 2020-11-17: Added 34 titles, removed 25 duplicate or non-existent titles
- 2021-01-27: Container and volume information added
- 2021-06-09: Added Accession 2021-S-0010
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063