Jezebel Productions records
Scope and Contents
Dates of Materials
- Jezebel Productions (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
- This collection is stored offsite; researchers must give 48 hours advance notice.
- Original audiovisual materials are closed; research copies must be made.
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Biographical / Historical
Greta Schiller has produced and directed documentries for European Television and for MayaVision International, and has been awarded numerous grants and prizes for her work, including the first Fulbright Arts Fellowship in Film. Her films are held in many prestigious collections around the world.
Andrea Weiss earned a B.A. in English and Women's Studies from the State Univerisity of New York at Binghamton in 1977, an M.A. in English and Women's Studies from the University of Oklahoma in 1981, and a Ph.D. in history from Rutgers University. She has taught women's studies, history, film studies, and film/video production at a variety of institutions. She is currently a Professor in the Film/Video Program of the Department of Media and Communication Arts at the City College of New York, where she has taught since 2003.
In addition to making independent films, she is the author of Vampires and Violets: Lesbians in Film (1993), Paris Was A Woman: Portraits from the Left Bank (1995)--which formed the basis for the Jezebel productions documentary of the same name-- and In the Shadow of Magic Mountain: The Erika and Klaus Mann Story (2008), about the children of Thomas Mann. She is also the co-author with Greta Schiller of Before Stonewall (1987). Weiss has written many book chapters, articles and film reviews, and has been awarded numerous fellowships and grants. She has taught at the International Film and Photo Workshops, New York University, the City University of New York, and the National Film and Television School of Great Britain.
25 boxes (32.25 linear feet)
1930.319 Gigabytes (8686 digital files)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
As a preservation measure, researchers must use digital copies of audiovisual materials in this collection. Please consult with Special Collections staff to request the creation of and access to digital copies.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The contents of computer media in this collection has been copied to networked storage for preservation and access; the original directory and file structure was retained and file lists were created.
- Computer media
- DVD-Video discs
- Documentary films -- United States -- Production and direction
- Electronic records
- Feminism and motion pictures
- Independent filmmakers
- Jezebel Productions
- LGBTQ people in motion pictures
- Lesbian community -- France -- Paris
- Lesbians in motion pictures
- Motion pictures
- Motion pictures -- Production and direction
- Paris (France) -- Intellectual life -- 20th century
- Schiller, Greta
- Sound recordings
- Weiss, Andrea
- Women artists -- France -- Paris -- 20th century
- Women authors -- 20th century
- Women in motion pictures
- Women in the motion picture industry
- Women intellectuals -- France -- Paris
- press releases
- Finding Aid to the Jezebel Productions records
- Legacy Finding Aid (Updated)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2017-07-26T17:48:22-04:00: This record was migrated from InMagic DB Textworks to ArchivesSpace.
- 12/10/2018: Container list added for latest accession; updated all collection-level notes to current standards.
- 2020-05-26: Description added for born-digital content.
Part of the Sophia Smith Collection of Women's History Repository
4 Tyler Drive
Northampton MA 01063