Smith College collection of cuneiform tablets
Scope and Contents
Each tablet is in the Sumerian or Semitic Babylonian languages of the Near East.
Dates of Materials
- approximately 2700-500 BCE
- Smith College. Religion department (Collector, Organization)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
370 items (370 tablets)
4 items (4 digital objects)
Other Finding Aids
Cyrus H. Gordon described some of the tablets in his publication Smith College Tablets: 110 Cuneiform Texts Selected from the College, (Northampton, Mass.: Published by the Department of History of Smith College, 1952). His transcriptions and any further information that is known about each tablet have been included in the printed finding aid in the Mortimer Rare Book Collection.
See also Cuneiform documents in the Smith College Library by Elihu Grant(Haverford, Pa. : [publisher not identified], 1918) which includes descriptions of tablets numbered 252-255 and 257-274 of the Smith collection.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Existence and Location of Copies
To obtain a high-resolution 3D laser scan of this object for research purposes, contact the Imaging Center at Smith College.
- Finding aid for the Smith College collection of cuneiform tablets
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- This is a partial version of the full finding aid, and describes only the tablets that have been digitized. A complete listing of the cuneiform collection exists in paper form in the Mortimer Rare Book Collection.
Part of the Mortimer Rare Book Collection Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063