Harriet Elizabeth Prescott Spofford papers
Scope and Contents
SERIES I. LETTERS: This series contains letters written by Harriet Elizabeth Prescott Spofford to various individuals. It is arranged in chronological order.
SERIES II. WRITINGS: This series contains a number of manuscripts of Spofford's poems.
SERIES III. PRINT MATERIALS: This series contains some printed advertisements.
SERIES IV. RICHARD SMITH SPOFFORD: This series contains letters and manuscripts by Richard Smith Spofford, husband of Harriet Elizabeth Prescott Spofford, as well as print materials.
Dates of Materials
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Biographical / Historical
In 1865 she married Richard Smith Spofford, Jr. (1833-1888), a Boston lawyer and sometime author. They resided on Deer Island, Amesbury, Massachusetts. Harriet Spofford continued to write and travel. It is at the Deer Island home that she died on August 14, 1921.
1 boxes (.5 linear feet)
- SERIES I. LETTERS
- SERIES II. WRITINGS
- SERIES III. PRINT MATERIALS
- SERIES IV. RICHARD SMITH SPOFFORD
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Additions to the Collection
- Harriet Elizabeth Prescott Spofford papers
- Finding Aid
- Melvin Carlson, Jr.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
Part of the Mortimer Rare Book Collection Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063