Scope and Contents
The collection contains one memorabilia book and a bible from Eleanor Louisa Lord’s time as a Smith student from 1883-1887. The book contains playbills, news clippings, correspondence, memorabilia, music programs, and photographs. The collection also contains Lord’s professional papers, which include, obituaries, professional correspondence, American Association of University Women brochures, photographs, several publications about Smith alumnae, and postcards and a travel log from her trip to Europe in 1934.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for use without restriction beyond the standard terms and conditions of Smith College Special Collections.
Until we move into New Neilson in early 2021, collections are stored in multiple locations and may take up to 48 hours to retrieve. Researchers are strongly encouraged to contact Special Collections (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least a week in advance of any planned visits so that boxes may be retrieved for them in a timely manner.
Conditions Governing Use
Smith College retains copyright of materials created as part of its business operations; however, copyright in other items in this collection may be held by their respective creators. For reproductions of materials that are governed by fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. For instances which may regard materials in the collection not created by Smith College, researchers are responsible for determining who may hold materials' copyrights and obtaining approval from them. Researchers do not need anything further from Smith College Special Collections to move forward with their use.
Biographical / Historical
Eleanor Louisa Lord, Class of 1887, received her M.A. from Bryn Mawr in 1890 and her Ph.D. at Teachers college, Columbia and at Newnham College, University of Cambridge in 1896. She taught History at Smith College (1890-1894) and at Goucher College (1897-1919) where she became dean in 1910. In 1919, Lord became warden of Rockefeller Hall in Bryn Mawr, and left the position in 1922 to become a History professor at Wells. She returned to Smith in 1922 to become an educational consultant, and in 1925 she became research associate to the institute of Coordination of Women’s Interests at Smith. She died in 1956 in Northampton.
0.438 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials