Skip to main content

William L. MacDonald papers

 Collection
Identifier: CA-MS-01137

Scope and Contents

The collection contains news articles, photographs, and internal memos about William L. MacDonald, Professor of Art History. It also contains photos taken by MacDonald and used in his book, Northampton: Architecture and Buildings (1975).

Dates

  • 1965 - 2010

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for use without restriction beyond the standard terms and conditions of Smith College Special Collections.

Until we move into New Neilson in early 2021, collections are stored in multiple locations and may take up to 48 hours to retrieve. Researchers are strongly encouraged to contact Special Collections (specialcollections@smith.edu) at least a week in advance of any planned visits so that boxes may be retrieved for them in a timely manner.

Conditions Governing Use

Smith College retains copyright of materials created as part of its business operations; however, copyright in other items in this collection may be held by their respective creators. For reproductions of materials that are governed by fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. For instances which may regard materials in the collection not created by Smith College, researchers are responsible for determining who may hold materials' copyrights and obtaining approval from them. Researchers do not need anything further from Smith College Special Collections to move forward with their use.

Biographical / Historical

William L. MacDonald was born in 1921. He served in the US Army Air Force from 1942 to 1945. MacDonald received his A.B. in 1949 and his A.M. in 1953, both from Harvard. He lectured at the Boston Architectural Center (1949-1953) and Wheaton College (1953-1954). In 1954, MacDonald was awarded a fellowship at the American Academy in Rome, which he held until 1956. In 1956, he completed his Ph.D. at Harvard and joined the Department of Art History at Yale. MacDonald became a member of the Smith College faculty in 1965, where he remained until his retirement in 1981. At Smith, MacDonald lectured on Classical Architecture. He became head of the department in 1974. MacDonald died in 2011.

Extent

0.229 linear feet (1 container)

Overview

William L. MacDonald became a member of the Smith College faculty in 1965, where he remained until his retirement in 1981. At Smith, MacDonald lectured on Classical Architecture. He became head of the department in 1974. His papers contain news clippings and photographs documenting his professional life as Professor of Art at Smith.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Source unknown.
Title
Finding aid to the William L. MacDonald papers
Status
Legacy Finding Aid (Updated)
Description rules
dacs

Revision Statements

  • 2019-07-16: Added legacy finding aid and published.

Repository Details

Part of the Smith College Archives Repository

Contact:
Young Library
4 Tyler Drive
Northampton MA 01063