Adrienne Auerswald papers
Scope and Contents
- 1936 - 1979
- Auerswald, Adrienne (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Until we move into New Neilson in early 2021, collections are stored in multiple locations and may take up to 48 hours to retrieve. Researchers are strongly encouraged to contact Special Collections (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least a week in advance of any planned visits so that boxes may be retrieved for them in a timely manner.
Conditions Governing Use
Biographical / Historical
Auerswald graduated in 1943 and moved to New York City to study with Quena Mario, the soprano for the Metropolitan Opera. There, she perfected her Italian vocal style. In 1951, Auerswald returned to Tulsa to perform with the Tulsa Opera and Tulsa Philharmonic Orchestra. She opened a voice studio which she ran until returning to Smith College to teach in 1957. In 1962, Auerswald earned her Master's degree and became a faculty member.
Auerswald continued to perform at Smith and in various local opera productions. She was the Dean of the Class of 1968, the chair of the Music Department twice, sat on the Development Council and the Alumnae Council. In 1984 she was named the Iva Dee Hiatt Professor of Music. In 1987, Auerswald retired to focus on her private voice studio. She died in Northampton, Massachusetts, in 2008.
1.75 linear feet (3 containers)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Please note that prior to 2018, folder inventories were not always updated when new material was added to the collection. As a result, folder inventories may not be complete and folder numbers may be incorrect.
- Finding aid to the Adrienne Auerswald Papers
- Legacy Finding Aid (Updated)
- Finding aid prepared by Madison White, Class of 2016.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2019-03-08: Updated container information and re-published.
- 2019-12-13: Added boxes 1 and 2, updated notes and extents and dates.
Part of the Smith College Archives Repository
4 Tyler Drive
Northampton MA 01063