Cambridge School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture records
Scope and Contents
The Cambridge School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture Records are comprised of Alumnae Bulletins, sketches, bookplates, certificates, brochures, correspondence, examinations, photographs, reports, slides and information on student careers.
Dates of Materials
- 1916 - 1998
- Cambridge School (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research according to the regulations of the Smith College Archives with the exception of student files which are restricted and closed to research use.
Conditions Governing Use
Smith College retains copyright of materials created as part of its business operations; however, copyright in other items in this collection may be held by their respective creators. For reproductions of materials that are governed by fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. For instances which may regard materials in the collection not created by Smith College, researchers are responsible for determining who may hold materials' copyrights and obtaining approval from them. Researchers do not need anything further from Smith College Special Collections to move forward with their use.
Biographical / Historical
The School was founded in 1915 as the Cambridge School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture, and was the first to produce women graduate training in these two professions, coordinated under a single faculty. Due to Harvard University's policy of a male institution, the school ran as a "little experiment" in the office of Henry Frost, professor of architectural design at Harvard University, with only nine to twelve students, all women. In 1924 it was incorporated under Massachusetts law as an educational institution. In 1934 the School was affiliated with Smith College as a Graduate School, retaining its own name and independent organization, but with the privilege of recommending its students to the College for the graduate degrees of Master in Architecture and Master in Landscape Architecture. Two years later the graduate degrees of Bachelor of Architecture and Bachelor of Landscape Architecture were introduced, preceding the Master's degrees, which since that time have been granted for advanced work. In 1938 the School became actually a part of Smith College as its Graduate School in the two professions for which it prepares students, while the school itself was to remain in Cambridge.
5.458 linear feet (10 containers)
Language of Materials
Educational institution developed in association with Harvard University, and later affiliated with Smith College, as a Graduate School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture. Contains Alumnae Bulletins, sketches, bookplates, certificates, brochures, correspondence, examinations, photographs, reports, slides, and information on student careers.
This collection is organized into four series:
- I. Background
- II. Alumnae
- III. Correspondence
- IV. Publications
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Cambridge School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture Records were donated by Dorothy May Anderson to the Smith College Archives. Student records and additional files were transferred from the Cambridge School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in 1987 and 1989.
Some material may be from other sources.
Processed by Gayla Spaulding
Please note that prior to 2018, folder inventories were not always updated when new material was added to the collection. As a result, folder inventories may not be complete and folder numbers may be incorrect.
- Cambridge School (Organization)
- Anderson, Dorothy May (Donor, Person)
- Finding aid to Cambridge School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture records
- Legacy Finding Aid (Updated)
- Gayla Spaulding, Ellice Amanna
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2005-09-23: manosca78 converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02-5c.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- 11/14/18: Finding aid updated with new top container numbers, barcodes
Part of the Smith College Archives Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063