John Morton Greene papers
Scope and Contents
- 1833 - 1997
- Greene, John Morton, 1830-1919. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Biographical / Historical
John Morton Greene was a trustee of Smith College almost continuously from its founding in 1871 until his death. In addition, he served on the board of trustees of Mount Holyoke Seminary (now Mount Holyoke College), 1866-1875; and was president of the board of trustees at the French Protestant College in Springfield, 1885-1889. As advisor to Sophia Smith, he was also instrumental in the founding of Smith Academy in Hatfield, and acted in a similar capacity for Miss Rogers to found the Rogers Hall School in Lowell, where he acted as president of its board of trustees, 1892-1909. For over forty years he was one of the overseers of the charity fund at Amherst College.
3.625 linear feet (8 containers)
Language of Materials
- I. Biographical
- II. Correspondence
- III. Journals
- IV. Publications
- V. Scrapbooks
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- 1. General Correspondence, 1856-1917
- 2. Personal Journal (entries written 1861-1876 only)
- 3. "My Notes On Smith College," ca. 1910-1917 (A 129-page booklet of handwritten notes by John Morton Greene recording his recollections of the circumstances surrounding the founding of Smith College.)
- 4. Scrapbook, 1860-1918 (A 100-page scrapbook consisting predominantly of newspaper clippings related to women's education and academic affairs at Smith College, with particular reference to Greene's role in the College's founding; also, some published articles related to women's education at other U.S. institutions.)
- 5. Published Writings, 1875-1916 (Writings by JMG published in periodicals: Includes his "Early History of Smith College" [a 12-part series appearing in the Daily Hampshire Gazette, 1891-93], also correspondence related to it; a "Sketch of the Life and Character of Miss Sophia Smith"; "An Inside View of Smith College," published in a Lowell, Mass. newspaper in 1882; and other occasional pieces.)
- 6. Louisa Dickinson Greene Papers, 1854-1881 (6 letters and 2 other writings by the wife of John Morton Greene.)
- 7. Obituaries and Retrospectives on John Morton Greene, 1919-1930
- Burton, Marion Le Roy, 1874-1925
- Congregational churches -- Clergy
- Greene, Helen French, 1868-
- Greene, John Morton, 1830-1919.
- Greene, Louisa Dickinson, 1830-1881.
- Hubbard, George W. (George Warner)
- Seelye, Laurenus Clark, 1837-1924.
- Smith College -- Administration
- Smith, Sophia, 1795 - 1870
- Wells, Daniel White, 1842-
- Finding aid to the John Morton Greene papers
- Legacy Finding Aid (Updated)
- Valerie Love, '02
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2005-09-23: manosca80 converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02-5c.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- 2018-11-21: Finding aid updated as part of the College Archives Survey
Part of the Smith College Archives Repository
4 Tyler Drive
Northampton MA 01063