Department of Music records
Scope and Contents
Records contain information regarding the history of the program, booklets, posters, course information, department minutes, office files, faculty files, AV material, Smith College concerts and recitals files, and the New Valley Music Press. The collection also incldes the records of several student groups who were affiliated with the department, inclduing the Smiffenpoofs acapella group.
Dates of Materials
- 1876 - 2015
- Department of Music (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for use with following restrictions on access:
Box 16 is RESTRICTED until 2053 due to tenure/promotion files and must be screened by an archivist for these records before being used by researchers. Please contact the archives a minimum of two weeks in advance of your visit for access.
Conditions Governing Use
Smith College retains copyright of materials created as part of its business operations; however, copyright in other items in this collection may be held by their respective creators. For reproductions of materials that are governed by fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. For instances which may regard materials in the collection not created by Smith College, researchers are responsible for determining who may hold materials' copyrights and obtaining approval from them. Researchers do not need anything further from Smith College Special Collections to move forward with their use.
Biographical / Historical
Music Department at Smith College:
When Smith College opened in 1875 the study of music was conducted in a conservatory located in Pierce Hall, adjacent to College Hall. There, professors George W. Steele and J. Wells Champney instructed the students three times per week. From 1877 to 1879 a school of music was organized due to high demand from students wishing to study. The demand was so high that the conservatory soon became too small and inadequate for the number of students, and in 1880 the bowling alley in the gymnasium was converted into music rooms and the first story of the building was given up entirely to the music program. With demand for music instruction ever-increasing, the Executive Committee secured plans for a new building which was opened during the 1882-1883 college year. At that time, Smith College was believed by many to be the finest music school in the country. In 1903, Music became a department of the college, while the study of performance for credit continued to be offered within a liberal arts program, which was unusual for colleges at that time. In 1924 the Music Department moved to the newly constructed Sage Hall, and in 1968 the neighboring Werner Josten Library of the Performing Arts was built to house one of the finest undergraduate music libraries in the country. Extensive renovations to Sage Hall in 1989-90 resulted in the construction of Earle Recital Hall and the reconfiguration of the main auditorium, re-christened Sweeney Concert Hall, into an acoustically ideal hall for performances ranging from solo recitals to small orchestral concerts. Sweeney Concert Hall is the venue for the department's acclaimed concert series. The department's facilities include numerous practice rooms with grand pianos, an electro-acoustic music studio, and a digital classroom equipped with state-of-the-art computer workstations. Student participation outside of the classroom was equally important. Department clubs were formed as early as 1880, when the first Glee Club was formed and disbanded the same year and later re-formed in 1888. Since 1880 musical clubs have had a presence in the Smith community: the Noteables, Chamber Singers, the All-Smith Choir, Class Choirs, the Smith College Oratorio Chorus, Chamber Orchestra, String Orchestra Symphony Orchestra, the Smith-Amherst Orchestra, the training Orchestra and the Smiffenpoofs. Concerts and recitals have been held from 1876 to the present.
The Valley Music Press:
The Valley Music Press was established in 1942 by Ross Lee Finney, then a faculty member at Smith College, and John Verral. For a number of years Verral was based at Mount Holyoke College as part of the music departments of Smith College and Mt. Holyoke College and was supported by these two institutions. The Valley Music Press was unique because it was the only university press in the country devoted to the publication of modern American music. It was a non-profit organization for the distribution at moderate price of music by contemporary composers. Works were chosen as being practical for performance, rewarding for study, and varied both in medium and in place in the contemporary scene. As of 1962, the press had 55 publications on hand. Needless to say, the business details were many and varied. Meetings of the Executive Committee were held during the year to discuss new music to be published. It was felt that the time had come for the Press to become a member of the Smith College publications, and that it would be necessary to sever its connection with Mount Holyoke College. President Mendenhall gave his support to this goal, and also arranged for the sum of $400.00 annually to be provided by Smith College towards operating expenses of the Press. (Formerly, $200.00 came from the Music Department at Smith College and $200.00 from Mount Holyoke College.) It was also agreed that the name would be changed to signify the end of the original partnership. Hence, the Press was renamed the New Valley Music Press (NVMP) of Smith College. The NVMP ceased publication in December of 1996.
69.239 linear feet (106 containers)
Language of Materials
Music has been taught at Smith since its opening in 1875 and, since 1880, musical clubs have had a presence in the Smith community, including the Noteables, Chamber Singers, the All-Smith Choir, Class Choirs, the Smith College Oratorio Chorus, Chamber Orchestra, String Orchestra Symphony Orchestra, the Smith-Amherst Orchestra, the training Orchestra and the Smiffenpoofs. The collection contain information regarding the history of the program, booklets, course information, department minutes, office files, faculty files, AV material, Smith College concerts and recitals files, and the New Valley Music Press, the only university press in the country devoted to the publication of modern American music.
This collection has been added to over time in multiple "accessions." An accession is a group of materials received from the same source at approximately the same time. Note that in most cases, container numbers start over at 1 with each new accession.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
As a preservation measure, researchers must use digital copies of audiovisual materials in this collection. Please consult with Special Collections staff or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the creation of and access to digital copies.
This collection contains materials received from the donor in digital form that are not currently available online. Please consult with Special Collections staff or email email@example.com to request access to this digital content.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Most of the records were transferred to the College Archives in the Summer of 2002.
Processed by Gayla Spaulding.
The contents of computer media in this collection has been copied to networked storage for preservation and access; the original directory and file structure was retained and file lists were created.
Please note that prior to 2018, folder inventories were not always updated when new material was added to the collection. As a result, folder inventories may not be complete and folder numbers may be incorrect.
- Finding aid to the Department of Music records
- Legacy Finding Aid (Updated)
- Gayla Spaulding
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2005-09-23: manosca84 converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02-5c.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- 2018-11-20: Containers added and finding aid updated as part of the College Archives Survey
- 2020-03-16: Added boxes 12-30, updated dates and extents
- 2020-06-22: Added 6 posters, updated S&C notes
- 2020-07-23: Description added for born-digital content.
- 2020-10-02: Created student clubs series
Part of the Smith College Archives Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063