Smith College Archives artifacts collection
Scope and Contents
The College Archives is home to over six hundred artifacts which supplement the documentary and photographic history of Smith College. The Artifacts Collection includes Smith College, class, and club pins and jewelry, Reunion paraphernalia, house banners and t-shirts, samples of the Smith Wedgwood china, Smith College Relief Unit mementos, souvenirs from special events, and countless other objects-many of which resist easy categorization.
Dates of Materials
- 1873 - 2014
- Smith College. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for use without restriction beyond the standard terms and conditions of Smith College Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
Smith College retains copyright of materials created as part of its business operations; however, copyright in other items in this collection may be held by their respective creators. For reproductions of materials that are governed by fair use as defined under U. S. Copyright Law, no permission to cite or publish is required. For instances which may regard materials in the collection not created by Smith College, researchers are responsible for determining who may hold materials' copyrights and obtaining approval from them. Researchers do not need anything further from Smith College Special Collections to move forward with their use.
109.941 linear feet (83 containers)
Language of Materials
The College Archives is home to over six hundred artifacts which supplement the documentary and photographic history of Smith College. The Artifacts Collection includes Smith College, class, and club pins and jewelry, Reunion paraphernalia, house banners and t-shirts, samples of the Smith Wedgwood china, Smith College Relief Unit mementos, souvenirs from special events, and countless other objects.
Until 2019, every artifact was been assigned a Registration Number. It is used to catalogue and assign a location to the artifact, and bears no relation to the type of artifact, its date, or the date of its acquisition. The register is arranged numerically by registration number.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The artifacts in the collection were donated by various sources over a long period of time.
Additions to the Collection
Periodic additions to the collection are expected.
Processed by Sara Street, Class of 2001.
- Finding aid to the Smith College Archives artifact collection
- Legacy Finding Aid (Updated)
- Sara Street, Class of 2001
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- 07/26/2017: This resource was modified by the ArchivesSpace Preprocessor developed by the Harvard Library (https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-preprocessor)
- 2005-09-23: manosca105 converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02-5c.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- 2019-10-01: Inventory deleted and re-imported, notes updated to current format.
- 2020-01-21: Added boxes 52-68, updated extents and dates
- 2021-02-18: Added Accession 2018-A-0135
- 2022-03-08: Added Accession 2022-A-0017 and 2022-A-0018
Part of the Smith College Archives Repository
7 Neilson Drive
Northampton MA 01063